Jun 17, 2003

For some unknown reason, I flashed back on a lost weekend I spent in Topeka, Kansas. I got in on a Friday night and drove from Kansas City out to Topeka to meet a friend who had driven up from Tulsa. We stayed with an ex-girlfriend (of his) and the night I arrived was a haze of barbeque and beer that left me with the mother of all headaches the next afternoon as I woke in the uncomfortable heat of a summer Kansas day. Topeka is the kind of place that makes you thankful Pizza Huts were invented. I was out to see the Royals play at Kaufmann stadium (I know we witnessed some record being set during that game but for the life of me I can’t remember what it was). All I know is the woman we stayed with and her young daughter had a grand time. I also remember that Friday night being in a local bar where our host seemed to be on a first name basis with everyone. This song was on the jukebox and when it played everyone in the bar joined in, it was quite the night.

No comments: